Monday, November 2, 2015

Product Review: BVS Solitaire Collection





Cards games have been popular for hundreds of years.  Some (well most) require at least two people to play.

What if you want to just relax and unwind without needing to round up friends to get a card game going?  That’s
 the beauty of solitaire.  It’s just you and the cards.  With computers, tablets, and iphones you don’t even need a
real deck.  You can play anywhere, any time, as long as you have your computer or mobile device.


The game of Solitaire became popular in the mid 1700s.   It goes by many names in many countries.  Patience,  solitaire, success, Kabala (Polish for ‘secret knowledge’).   No matter what you call it,  it’s still a great game.  That’s why I was really excited to be able to try the full version of BVS Solitaire Collection in exchange for my

honest product review.  


I’ve been a fan of computer and mobile device solitaire since I got my first computer.  Back then,  there wasn’t

much you could customize besides the playing surface and card back color.  BVS Solitaire Collection takes
customization to the next level.  They have 23+ card face variations from Shakespeare,  Van Gogh, Empire, and
 many more.   The art work is beautiful.  Sometimes I found myself studying the intricacy of the art work instead of making the next move.  You can even create your own card face and back with any jpg or gif image.  Want to
 create a deck featuring your baby, pet, or favorite tv or book character?  BVS Solitaire Collection has you
covered.  The amount of game options is staggering.  The PC version boasts 476 Solitaire game options.  The ios
 version contains 260 games.   While most of the game names weren’t familiar to me,  I liked that it told me the
 difficulty level and what my chances were of winning.  When you’re learning a new solitaire variation,  the last
thing you want to do is get frustrated by playing a difficult to master game!  Starting out,  I picked games that
 were labeled “easy” with a “very high” win rate.  Maybe I’m not a great player, but I didn’t win any of them even though my chances were supposed to be high.  I did enjoy learning versions beyond the standard Klondike.  The
 cards are dealt in a very complex way that I doubt I would be able to do with a real deck of cards.  BVS Solitaire Collection takes the guess work and ‘did I deal that right?’ out of the process.  


Another aspect I really enjoy about BVS Solitaire Collection is that it’s multi-platform.  You can download the  Windows and Mac version of the game direct from the website for $19.95.

There’s a free 30 day demo version to try out.  After the trial,  you just pay the $19.95 to keep the game.   If you prefer iOS, you can find it in the Apple app store for $5.99.  There’s only 260 games versus the 476 in the PC
 version but the portability may be worth it.  I plan to get the mobile version and the PC version so I can play at
 home or on the go.  


If you like a lot of variety in your Solitaire games without being stuck playing the same variation over and over,

No comments:

Post a Comment