Saturday, December 5, 2015

Book Review: FREE YOURSELF FROM THE DIET LANGUAGE by Ayelet Kalter

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review

FREE YOURSELF FROM THE DIET LANGUAGE by Ayelet Kalter starts with a very interesting premise:  Is obesity the problem in a society trying to be healthy or is the way we approach losing weight the problem?  According to most schools of thought, obesity is a disease and health is the lack of disease.  Can you be obese and healthy at the same time?  Why do 95% of diets fail?


As someone who has struggled with weight loss since hitting my 30s and having 3 kids,  I'm always on the look out for diet options.  I've tried just about everything that I thought I could stick to (Atkins, calorie counting) and even those that I knew I couldn't (apple diet).    I'm not unhealthy.  I get plenty of exercise.  I don't make superb food choices but I'm not only eating junk food either.   Why was I having trouble losing weight?  I was hoping FREE YOURSELF FOR THE DIET LANGUAGE could offer some insight into the process instead of just another 'do this -- trust me it works' routine sales pitch.  What I found was a very scholarly, informative book about how diet language affects our way of thinking and, even, our way of life with the obsession to be healthy, which usually equates to being thin.  Thin isn't necessarily healthy just like obese isn't necessarily unhealthy.   Once we switch from the old way of thinking to mindful eating,  true change can take place.

If you're looking for an inspirational,  easy to read self help book, this isn't really the book for that.  It's very scholarly with footnotes and citations.  It reads like an academic book more than self help.  The information inside if very valuable but, personally, I think you need to be in the right mindset before you open it up. If you're not ready to focus and really take in what Kalter is saying,  you won't benefit from the valuable information.

I recommend the book if you're looking for a scholarly approach to diet and weight loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment