Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Book Review: TOMBS OF LUST by Dorit Silverman

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review

First written in 1985 but only recently translated into English, TOMBS OF LUST tells the forbidden love story between a Bedouin man and Israeli woman.   It was made into an award winning movie in 2002 called "Tahara: God's Sandbox."  If you're curious,  the full movie is available on YouTube.


I'm not quite sure what I was expecting going into reading TOMBS OF LUST.  With the word "lust" in the title, I shouldn't have been surprised by the erotic nature of the story.  The main characters spend most of the novel naked, nearly naked,  having sex, or thinking about having sex.  I understand that it's an awakening and celebration of sorts for the main character Leah.  It's a chance to be in control of herself and her own life instead of having other people control her.  I admire the sentiment.  I'm just used to less graphic romance.   That's not any fault of the author at all, just my own personal preference.

One aspect I really enjoyed was how Silverman alternated the chapter view point from male and female leads.   The word choice, sentence structure, etc were so uniquely Najim and Leah that it really gave a richer, deeper understanding of their relationship -- especially the language and cultural barriers.   It takes a very skilled writer to successfully pull off that technique.

TOMBS OF LUST is also a very quick read.  There's only 8 chapters total so it's easy to read in an afternoon.  It held my attention.  I plan to watch the movie to see how it compares to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment