Friday, February 5, 2016

Book Review: NETOPIA by Y.G. Levimor

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

In that not too distant future, "going out" has become as simple as tapping into the Virtual Reality social network MINDS.  You can go anywhere, be with anyone, eat anything, and more all without having to actually physically interact with another person or leave your house.  "Going out" is now all in your mind.



NETOPIA by YG Levimor falls firmly into the techno sci fi genre.  The first chapter -- even the first sentence -- drops you right into the action. You're instantly living in this not too distant future where people prefer the virtual world to the real world.   Robin Nice, one of the founders and most prolific 'author' of MINDS,  isn't a nice guy.  I couldn't decide if he was a villain because he was self centered and focused on keeping people addicted to MINDS because it made him a star, or a broken down hero looking for redemption.  I felt a definite push and pull with Robin. Sometimes I liked him and sometimes I couldn't stand him.

From a nitpicky reader perspective, I felt the chapters were way too long. Sometimes I struggled to stay focused and keep turning pages.  Instead of 8 or 9 different scenes, I would have preferred shorter chapters.  Instead of a scene break, in my opinion, a chapter break would have been more effective.

NETOPIA really makes you think about the role of technology in our lives. It was an interesting, thought provoking read.

No comments:

Post a Comment