Monday, February 22, 2016

Book Review: THE SORCERY CODE by Dima Zales

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

The premise of  THE SORCERY CODE by Dima Zales is fairly unique but still rooted in fantasy genre staples. Outcast sorcerer Blaise has spent over a year looking to create a way that makes it easy for everyone to use magic -- not just the elite, superior sorcerers.  His obsession loses him his fiancee Augusta who doesn't agree with his 'poor people deserve magic too' stance.  Still, Blaise sticks to his work and creates Gala -- a beautiful girl that's the human embodiment of magic.  He expected a talking mirror, and got a hot chick.   Awkward -- especially for a guy who hasn't really seen the outside of his house in over a year.  While Gala experiences all the world has to offer, Augusta is bent on stopping Blaise's goal of magic for all.




First off, the cover really drew me in. It has the just the right mix of mystery and fantasy. The color scheme is beautiful with the sunrise (set?) matching the magic in the globe/orb.  I enjoy fantasy books but haven't been an avid reader of the genre since I was a teenager.  The cover really intrigued me.  I quickly read the blurb and knew it was something I'd be happy to read and review.  The writing was fresh and well paced.  I found myself thinking "I can see why Dima Zales in a NYT Bestselling author."  There was an ease and flow that I appreciated.  There was some info dumping in the first chapter but it came in the form of dialogue between Blaise and newly formed Gala instead of just a big exposition info dump.  While I got a little restless during that scene, once all the essentials were out of the way, the pace picked up again.  The story is told in multiple points of views so you get equal time with Blaise and Augusta's sides. Each chapter is clearly marked just in case you need to be reminded who the main POV character is for that chapter.  Yeah, Augusta isn't the nicest sorcerer on the block and wants things to stay status quo, but it's nice to be able to see where she's coming from with her beliefs and actions.  Blaise spends a lot of his time obsessing over Gala's hotness.

I enjoyed THE SORCERY CODE and would definitely read the sequel.  The deft, well paced writing and flawed but still relatable characters pulled me in.  I'm invested now.  That's the sign of a good writer and good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment