Monday, February 29, 2016

Book Review: STORIES OF LOVE & WEIGHT LOSS by Adi Tsin Ben-Nun

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Whatever your relationship with food -- good or bad -- the thought of eating probably brings up some sort of emotion in you.  Food can symbolize comfort, love, and the often painful struggle with self love and acceptance.  STORIES OF LOVE & WEIGHT LOSS  is a collection of short monologue like vignettes based on real cases the author experienced during her years of private practice. They are at times sad, poignant, joyous and uplifting.  You go through a gamut of emotion while reading the vignettes.  Chances are, you'll find at least one (or more!) stories that you strongly identify with.



I enjoyed the first person point of view the stories were presented in.  You feel more connected to the narrator if you can get into their head and really explore their emotional ups and downs with them. I don't think it would have worked as well in third person due to the person nature of the stories.  At first, I thought it was going to be a non fiction collection sort of like Chicken Soup For The Soul, but all about the weight loss.  The further I read, the further I enjoyed the fictionalized accounts of real cases. The story lengths vary from a paragraph or two to several pages.   It was a quick, easy read with a great message at its heart.   I personally struggle a lot with body image so I especially appreciated the message of  'you're beautiful just the way you are.'

No comments:

Post a Comment